
I think I've always been aware of our environment and am a bit of a hippy at heart, but being on the verge of motherhood has made me even more aware about our planet and the state that it's in.
Apparently we are in for some "tough times" with all this economy mumbo jumbo, but that can, and will sort itself out.
Our planet can't, we stuffed it up, now we have to fix it.
I know so many people that have the attitude that as one person they can't do anything, if all those people changed the way they thought maybe we wouldn't have species of animals dying and millions of acres of trees being torn down. Look don't get me wrong I am all for technology and I love shiny new things but I think it's still possible to have new toys and fresh air to breath.
So today's first lesson is about recycling. It's not hard, most councils supply you with a bin, you just have to know what to put in it, more importantly what NOT to put in it!!! EG. NO plastic bags should go into your recycling bin and plastic containers with the number 4,5,6 & 7 shouldn't go in there, most people are unaware of these codes and chuck everything in the recycling bin, this is almost as bad as not recycling at all. If by chance you are interested in what you can/can't put in your bins check your local council website.
The other thing I want to mention, while I'm on my soapbox, is bamboo and organic cotton.
It's more than a trend. I'm all for organic cotton. Just quickly, it's grown without the use of pesticides and less water is used in growing the plant. What I am obsessed with though is bamboo. The bamboo fiber is naturally anti-bacterial and is highly recommended for babies and anyone with allergies. Bamboo also grows very quickly, requiring few farming inputs and pesticides and is far more sustainable. When compared to the other plants, bamboo absorbs more greenhouse gases and releases more oxygen. Once harvested bamboo doesn't need to be replanted or fertilized as it's roots are very good at stabilising erosion prone soil, which benefits the land as well as the air. Enough of my teachings for today. There are plenty of sites on the web to research bamboo and it's amazing qualities. And watch this space for some possible bamboo happenings as well!!!!!!
If you are interested in reading more about a green way of life the book in the photo is easily available and is an easy read that isn't preachy. It was given to me by one of my ace friends as a baby shower present and I love it to pieces. And while I was on the subject of green I thought I'd add a couple of other green things that have been rockin my world. Thanks Miss Dee for the peppermint crisp obsession, I hold you solely responsible (XOXO) and along with Mylanta I'd like to thank Eno for supporting my pregnancy!!!!
PS. While I think of it, the reason my backing is black is because it takes less energy to run a black screen that it does a white one. If you're interested try switching from google to blackle
Same thing, just uses less energy

3 comments:
ok bel, so i'd just started to cut down my peppermint crisp intake..and what do i see in this post!!?? bloody temptation!! damn you!! now i HAVE TO go get one!!
xx
You started it!!!!!
F.Y.I. They are on sale at Coles this week!!!!
so is that recycling thing about the no.'s directed at me? my council did not give me a special instruction booklet, so all this time i thought i was doing the right thing, but turns out it's not. At least i still turn off everything at the switch, and have green power. love reneexoxox
Post a Comment